22 February 2010

Coming To You, On a Dusty Road...

Raer records?.. he's got a truckload!

He's a crate digging/mixtape making/DJ/Producer/Emcee who goes by a few different names; The Soulman when he's on the ones & twos, Phill Most Chill when rockin' the m.i.c and Phill Stroman on the credit card he uses to buy obscure records you've never even heard of.

Responsible for some of my fave mixes of all time like 'Neva Stop Diggin' and 'Drugs', he was definitely high on the list of people I wanted to ask the Themes For Young Lovers questions and not only did he come through with the answers he also had a love themed mix ready to go that you can download below!

Be sure to swing by his website and bookmark that bad boy as he puts up mixes and other great content on the reg but in the meantime read on...

Name -
Phill Stroman aka THE SOULMAN (also aka Phill Most Chill)

Hometown -
Living in Philadelphia

Name 3 songs that would be no-brainers to put on a mixtape for that special someone you were trying to woo -
Marvin Gaye "Come Live With Me Angel"
Joe Bataan "You're Driving Me Right Out Of My Mind"
Steve Parks "Still Thinking Of You"
There are a million of them, really... Marvin has a bunch of them by himself. But the gun's to my head and I gotta pick three, so there you go.

You've turned the lights down low, lit the candles and poured the dom perignon, what LP goes on the stereo? Something by Curtis Mayfield or Leroy Hutson would be cool... sheeeiiit, I'd like to be able to put on a Vashti Bunyan album. But for real? As the grown African American gentleman that I am, the business would be either of the two Kem albums. Works everytime like Billy Dee armed with two forties of Colt 45. But if I ever ran across a female who was feelin' Jon Lucien's "World Of Joy" on a deep level my wife might be in trouble (just kidding if you're reading this, baby... put on the Kem cd, I'll be upstairs in a minute).

What is your fave romantic film of all time? Uhhh... maybe Truck Turner? The scene where Isaac Hayes picks up his girl from prison and buys her a six pack and a two-piece from KFC then screws her to "You're In My Arms Again" is a classic moment of movie romance for sure.

You've just had your heart broken, what's the song or LP that you play to ease the pain and get you through? Never really experienced that in the way you probably mean, but oddly enough the song "If This Ain't Love" by Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators got me through a very rough little patch in my life a little while ago. That song goes a little bit beyond just one-on-one love and takes it to a more familial space, which hits home a little more for a family man such as myself. Definitely touched me and gave me some comfort. Also kind of made me realize I had a lot to be thankful for, because I honestly haven't had a whole lot of rough patches in my life, not that affected me to the point where I needed a song or something or somebody else to help me get through it. I'm pretty lucky in that respect, I guess.
 
What song was/or would be your pick to be played during the first dance at your wedding? Didn't do any of that at my wedding... jeez, this is some schitt my wife should really answer, not me. I don't know, she might want something by Maxwell. Me, maybe I'd go with Marvin's "Distant Lover". Would that be appropriate for a wedding? I have no idea. I had a drive through wedding- take a number, get hitched, take some pictures, go home. Worked for us.

If you had to pick one artist or group, who's music do you think has played the biggest part in helping increase the worlds population over the years? Probably Luther Vandross. Maybe the Isley Brothers, but Luther had some real baby makers. His version of "House Is Not A Home"... whew. Brings back memories.

and finally What's your fave guilty pleasure/cheesiest love song? I like a lot of 70's lite rock... that stuff ain't cheesy to me, but a lot of people would probably see it that way. To me cheesy is the Disney movie love themes by Peter Cetera or Celine Dion or whoever sings that stuff. "Superstar" by the Carpenters isn't cheesy at all to me. Carly Simon's "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" is great, Hall & Oates "Sara Smile", The Eagles "I Can't Tell You Why"... dog, I can go on and on with this schitt.

Lovers & Friends - Soulman Listen/Download

2 comments:

  1. that's some great answers there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to read words from my cousin Soulman!

    DJ Skeme Richards
    Rock Steady Crew

    www.anything-goes31.blogspot.com
    www.hotpeasandbutta.com

    ReplyDelete